Friday, August 8, 2008

Muhammad

I really like how Muhammad connected God to the earth and his people. Right off the bat Muhammad writes: “We made every kind of joyous thing to grow for insight and for token to every penitent servant” I really got the sense that the earth is a sacred place that was created for the good of the people. The earth is a reflection of God and it is always with you. I guess this reading just made me feel very thankful and appreciative for my life and the world that I live in. I especially like the section that talked about the blessed rain from heavens bringing life to earth. It just was a nice sentence.

It does not really talk about suffering or pain, though. We know that rain can turn into a flood. And while it is all well and good to love the earth, there are times when the world is a harsh place. How can something that is a reflection of God contain suffering? But maybe if you truly see God in the earth you might be able to escape the suffering.

I also noticed in the first paragraph of this writing, the word we is used a lot. “We created man: We know the very whisperings within him and We are closer to him than his jugular vein.” I was getting confused who the we was referring to. It seems like it must be god because it talks about the we creating earth, but why would god be plural…I thought this was a monotheistic religion.

No comments: