Friday, August 1, 2008

Padmasambhava

I liked this reading. Overall I got a positive feeling about passing into death and how you could enter a way of existence where you were in an enlightened state. They talk about the “luminosity of death” and somehow that makes death seem like just another journey – nothing to be afraid of. I also like the emphasis of how all you need is your mind and you are ready for this journey: “The uncreated, self-radiant wisdom of your original mind, actionless, immaculate, transcendent over acceptance and rejection, is itself the perfect practice.”

The whole time I was reading this I was thinking about a friend that I had that was originally a delivery room nurse and then transferred to a hospice. I remember that a lot of people would ask about how she could go from birth to death. She always said that the two were seemed very much the same to her…just different transitions in life. This reading sorta gave me a sense of what I think she may have been talking about.

So this is a very random post. I’m just going to comment on a couple of quotes that I found interesting:

“Your own mind is not separate from other minds; it shines forth, unobscured, for all living beings.”

I really like this quote because I like the idea that everybody is connected in some way. I like to think that we all can have a positive affect on one another. I think that it is very true; I know that when I am around people with a positive energy, I find myself unconsciously acting more happy and energetic. Likewise if I’m hanging around someone in a bad mood I find that my happiness tends to decrease a bit.

“When you realize that all phenomena are as unstable as the air, they lose their power to fascinate and bind you….All phenomena are your own ideas, self conceived in the mind, like reflections in a mirror.”

I like the emphasis on looking to your own mind for the truth. The quote above really made me think of my old high school physics teacher who was always talking about how are minds recreated the universe and how what we were looking at was just a figment of our imagination. He had a more technically math way of describing this, but it is interesting to me that both physics and religion see a matrix like universe.

No comments: